At its recent meeting, the Dallas Social Media Breakfast learned about “Harnessing Social Media – Developing and Implementing Effective Brand Strategy” in a presentation delivered by Andrew Fortunato, Former Chief Marketing Officer for the United States Marine Corps.
Andrew talked about the intersection of marketing and leadership and highlighted the following challenges for those responsible for marketing and social media in their organization.
- How to introduce the risks and benefits
- Managing leadership expectations
- Managing the Sales Forces’ needs
Andrew provided these four key steps to success, which are based upon his experience in engaging social media at both the Marine Corps as well as with the many outside companies and organizations he now works with as a civilian.
- Observe: Where are you now (by your design or someone else’s)
- Orient: Listen to what is being said about your company and brand
- Decide: What is your engagement plan going to be
- Act: Educate, integrate, inform and execute
Andrew also provided a number of examples of the best practices he sees and his perspective on the new rules of branding in a social media world. He can be reached at Andrew dot Fortunato at charter dot net.