It is legitimately hard to create demand in the big-ticket, solution sales world of B2B.
I counsel my clients frequently not to cast a wide net with loose value propositions and generic advertisements. The “buy now or you may lose out” selling style simply does not work in the markets in which OnTarget operates. No one buys large solutions on impulse; there is a lot of complex, analytical thought and plenty of budget considerations too.
This is what I call the demand discovery vs demand creation paradox.
OnTarget is in the business of demand discovery, not demand creation.
We look for qualified buyers for our client’s solutions. We grade these buyers based on several important characteristics:
- They have a real business problem that is solved by the client’s solution(s)
- They are willing to take the time to explore the client’s solution(s)
- They have a discussed budget
- They have a defined time-frame
- They have knowledge of the decision-making process, and share that with us
When all of these characteristics line up, we have discovered demand for our client.
Discovering demand for our clients may be difficult to accomplish, but it is not near as difficult as creating the demand.
Ed Trachier is Founder and CEO of OnTarget Partners, LLC. He can be reached at 469-200-4901, or via email at email@example.com.