I have been fascinated by business news for many years, even before it became a part of my day-to-day job. For example, I would always tune in (and still do) upon hearing things such as the following: ABC Company is planning to buy XYZ Company, for an “undisclosed amount”; Massive layoffs are taking place at 123 Company; BIG Company is filing for Chapter 11; SMALL Company is filing an IPO. To me it’s what makes business…well, business!
A few weeks ago, I had a few ideas of my own for company mergers that will probably never happen — even though it might be fun to see the results. Here are 5 ideas,some received from members of the LinkedIn Group OnTarget Partners Community:
1) The WWE (Leaders in wrestling TV shows) and CEC Entertainment (Owner of restaurants that are safe & wholesome, except for a large rodent): Of course it won’t happen, but just think of all the action we’d finally see at the restaurants. And the chance to punch the large rodent.
2) Zales (Diamond jewelry in all shapes & sizes) and Hasbro Toys (Several brands of toys & games, also in all shapes & sizes). Just imagine the gifts your baby can receive for its birthday – diamond-studded action figures perhaps?
3) The Container Store (Provides products for storage & organization) and Whole Foods Markets (Provides healthy, natural, organic foods): Your groceries would be much easier to carry and store in the fridge!
4) Jenny Craig (Products & programs for weight loss) and Yum! Brands (Operates & licenses some well-known (and loved) fast food restaurants): The foods would certainly taste a lot different, but the end results may not be what the consumer is seeking.
5) PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. A group of proponents for animal rights) and the NRA (The National Rifle Association. A group of proponents for the protection of Second Amendment rights). I won’t even go there.
I agree that these mergers will not be in the headlines. Not even close. Luckily there are dozens of valid trigger events occurring all over the world every day. At OnTarget Partners we’re keeping an eye on these daily activities with our proprietary system of Trigger Event Monitoring. We’ll help your company by keeping track of the trigger events that matter most to your industry and your solutions offerings. From personnel changes to M&A’s – if it’s a sales trigger event that is important to you, we’re going to be keeping up with it, too.
Check out our page at trigger event monitoring to learn more about how this can work for you!
-Jennifer Hanford is a Social Media Coordinator for OnTarget Partners.